Saturday, September 8, 2012

Are you dwelling in the past?

Do you ever look backwards to see from where you just came?  When you trip, do you look back to see what caused you to trip?  Are there things in your past that you so desperately want to forget, but the memory still painfully rises up?

When God created us, He didn't create us with the ability to erase what we wanted to erase from our memories and move on.  He gave us the ability to remember.  And sometimes those memories are painful. 

God's word even says to move forward.  Isaiah 43:18, 19 says, "“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.  See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland."


I think the key word in the above scripture is "dwell".  When God does a new thing, dwelling on the past and the former things will more than likely overshadow the new thing He is doing.  We don't see the sparkle which He so graciously wants to give to us. 

But sometimes, remembering the past - not dwelling or wallowing in - is a reminder of God's grace and mercy.  A reminder of where God has brought you from to where He has you now and where He is guiding you.  Sometimes the lesson learned from those painful times needs to be remembered so we don't have to go back and learn the lesson all over again.

I experienced an awakening during the past 12 months!  I won't share just yet, but know this - God "reminds" me all the time where I was and where I am now.  He reminds me of the place I had complacently put my relationship with Him, my husband, and others around me.  He reminds me how close I had come to falling into a dark abyss.  I never, ever want to forget where I was, because I never, ever want to be in that place again. 

I am learning not to "dwell" on the ugly and the pain.  I dwell on the miracle, the love, and His word.  I have seen the amazing new thing God is doing and I am excited that I am moving forward.  When those memories pop up, I put them in the proper perspective - lesson's learned for His glory - and move forward.

God has given me a hope and a future.  I am so grateful that I was able to wake up and see what He had for me before it was too late.

Just remember that it isn't the memory of the lesson that caused you to trip, it is dwelling on the former things that will cause you to turn around and trip.

Lamentations 3:19-27
I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall.
I remember them, and my soul is downcast within me.
Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness.
I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”
The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait patiently for the salvation of the Lord. 

Father - I come to you with a full heart.  A full heart of thankfulness and love for You.  You are bringing something new.  Help us to see what you are doing and how magnificent Your love is for each and every one of us.  Our hope is in You.  Thank you for Your grace and Your mercy.  Thank you for taking us through the fire to learn lessons.  Thank you for the challenges and the successes we gain from those challenges.  Help us not to forget those lessons we learned.  We praise your name and give You all the glory.  Amen


2 comments:

  1. The Hebrew word for dwell is byin, and the primary meaning is to discern or distinguish between good and evil.
    God wants us to learn from our mistakes and move forward not wallow in a pity party about the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for adding to the lesson. The challenges become successes when we just learn the lesson.

      Delete