Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Crossed paths

Standing in line at the grocery store to purchase two items, the young man standing in front of me politely and being kind to any old lady offered to let me go ahead of him.  (The old lady part was my interpretation.)  I thanked him and moved forward in the line.  As we stood next to each other this handsome young man started to share with me.  He said the food he bought reminded him of when he was a bachelor.  I noticed several frozen food items and laughingly agreed with him.  He shared that he had just sent his wife and son back home to Louisiana.  He was in the military.  He let me know he was in the Army and on his way to Korea.  He was so young.  Here stood a husband, father and solider.  Here stood a polite, caring human being.  Here stood not a coincidence but a planned crossing of paths.  Everyday since that casual meeting, I have prayed for this young man and his family. 

As I drove away from the grocery store that evening, I realized that someone was praying for this young man.  Someone was praying that God would protect him and hold him close.  I was now praying for him as well.  All of a sudden I realized that strangers had crossed paths with my children and prayed for them.  People saw my lost son while he walked the streets - homeless - and prayed for him.  People crossed paths with my other children and God gave those people a burden for my kids.  Others are praying for my children.  Someday when I step into Heaven and into the presence of God, I will get to meet the people who have prayed for me.  People who I have never formally met.  But people who God spoke to and asked them to pray for me.

I will continue to pray for the young man who I met in the grocery store.  My spiritual eyesight is watching for the next "stranger" God wants me to hold up in prayer.  WATCH and Listen.

1 comment:

  1. We never know who God will bring over our path...or that we will listen to that still small voice urging us to encourage, love and pray for that person. God doesn't ask for alot...just obedience when prompted. Pam T.

    ReplyDelete